In today’s blog, we’ll discuss grape wine, grape wine recipe, red wine benefits for skin, and much more. Before moving further, let’s discuss what exactly grape wine is:
What is Grape Wine?
Grape wine is an alcoholic beverage made by following the process of fermenting grapes. Technically, any fruit can be used for making wine (i.e. cranberries, apples, plums, etc.), but when it comes to wine, then it is made with grapes. Wine came from the Latin word ‘vine,’ which means grapes. To obtain wine, fruits such as plums, grapes, pomegranate, and cherries are fermented. Different types of fruits can be used to make different styles of wine.
In wine, alcohol content might be around 14%-15%. For its unique taste and flavor, wine is preferred across the world. The average red wine cost is $15.66, and the white wine cost is $14.41.
The grape wine colour may vary as some people think that red wine is made from red-coloured grapes, which is not true. Red wine is made from dark-coloured grapes. With green grapes, the grape wine colour will be white that is known as white wine.
Red Wine and White Wine
Wine can be categorized as red white and white wine. Red wine is made through the process of fermenting red and black grapes. On the other hand, white wine is made from white grapes. The skin and seeds from the white grapes are removed and mixed with the yeast. In the end, they are left for fermentation for weeks.
The difference between wine and beer is that beer uses fermented grains. On the other hand, wine is made from fruits.
Red Wine Benefits for Skin
Red wine is one of the famous drinks across the world. There are various red wine benefits for skin:
- Red wine helps you in fighting against skin aging. Red wine contains antioxidants like resveratrol, flavonoids, and tannins that help in improving skin.
- It also helps you to sleep better because it has melatonin, the hormone that regulates the sleep cycle.
- It also offers you good skin tone and glow on your skin that gets lost because of stress.
Difference between Wine and Alcohol
- Depending upon the alcoholic drink, the alcohol content can range from 3%-50%. On the other hand, wine contains around 14-15% of alcohol content. In wine, the alcohol content is relatively less than an alcoholic drink.
- Alcohol can be made from fermentation or distillation, but wine is only made with the fermentation process.
- Alcohol can use all types of food products, grains, and fruits, but wine is only made from fruits.
- Wines are valued because of their unique flavor, whereas alcohol is valued because of its pleasing property as it has a high content of alcohol.
- Wine is highly flavorful, and alcohol has ethanol content that doesn’t have a flavor of its own until you mix it with another substance.
- Wine can be categorized under alcoholic drinks, but alcohol drinks can’t be categorized under wine.
How to Make Grape Wine?
You need to have equipment for grape wine recipes. One important thing is patience during the process of making grape wine.
Required Types of Equipment
- One 4-gallon plastic bucket and lid for primary fermentation
- Three 1 –gallon glass jugs for secondary fermentation
- Three airlocks
- A rubber cork
- Nylon mesh straining bag
- A thin plastic tube for siphoning
- Use of hydrometer for measuring sugar levels
- Lots of wine grapes
- Filtered water
- Granulated sugar
- Wine yeast
Process of Making Grape Wine
- Make sure your equipments are clean.
- Select your grapes and wash them thoroughly and remove the stems.
- To release the juice, crush the grapes into the first fermentation container. Now, add wine yeast.
- Into the must, add hydrometer. Add sugar, and in pure filtered water first, dissolve granulated sugar. Thoroughly stir the must.
- Use a cloth to cover the first fermentation container. Now, keep must ferment for 7 weeks to 10 days. During fermentation days, fermentation will enable froth to grow on the top and sediment to go to the bottom.
- To remove the sediment and froth, strain the liquid.
- Transfer the juice through a funnel into a second fermentation container. Fill the container to the top to minimize the amount of air reaching the wine.
- Use airlocks to fit the containers.
- Now, keep the juice to ferment for some weeks.
- To siphon the wine into the second fermentation container, use the plastic tube, so sediment will be separated.
- Until the wine is clear, continue to siphon the wine for 2 to 3 months.
- Pass the wine into bottles and leave the space for cork about a half-inch.
- For the first three days, store the wine upright.
- After three days, store the wine at 55 degrees F. Red wine takes around 1 year and white wine takes only 6 months.
How to Make Grape Wine without Yeast?
For making grape wine you need black grapes 1 kg, sugar 1.25 kg, water 4 liters, and cloves 20 nos.
- Boil the water and let it cool.
- Wash grapes and separate grapes from the stalk.
- Wipe water from grapes with a clean cloth.
- In a big bottle, add grapes and sugar. Mash them well with hand or masher.
- Add cooled and boiled water, and then stir.
- Take a clean cloth and tie the bottle.
- Every day, stir the mixture for some time.
- Mash the grapes once again after 14 days and strain through a clean cloth.
- You can add boiled and cooled water if wine is sweeter.
- Take cloves, crush them and tie in a small piece of cloth.
- Take a clean bottle and pour the wine.
- You can add 1 tbsp. vanilla essence and cloves pouch.
- Keep it aside for 30 days again. After 30 days, filter the wine again and use it.
From this blog, you’ve learnt what grape wine is and how to make grape wine without yeast, and some amazing benefits of red wine for the skin. The best thing about grape wine is that it contains less alcohol content than any other alcoholic drinks.